A mulch is simply a layer of material that is spread on top of the soil around the base of you plants, shrubs or trees. Adding mulch to your garden has many benefits. Mulch prevents soil erosion; conserves water and reduces the need to water your plants often. Mulching provides for more even ground temperature, discourages weed growth; and gives your garden a neater, more organized appearance.
Decorative stone, rock and gravel have multiple uses in and around your home. Rock is a highly popular “hardscape” material and is used for such diverse purposes as mulch, ground cover, driveways and filler around pools and patios. Used as mulch, stone helps retain soil moisture, blocks weed growth and enhances drainage. Stone can also be used in gardens to create walkways or as a driveway material because it provides excellent erosion control. Before you buy decorative stone, consider the following questions:
- Are you looking for ground cover that will stay in place?
- What color rock would look nice near your house?
- How do you prep an area to put down decorative stone?
- How much rock will you need to cover your area?
- What type of rock is good for use in your driveway?